I used to remember things better. I remember remembering things. Surely that means I really did, although the memories are getting a little vague and fuzzy around the edges so that I'm not completely sure that I'm actually remembering them or remembering thinking about them afterwards. So I guess it is completely possible that I have always been forgetful and that I just forgot.
Be that as it may, life has gotten more complicated for me. I have much much more to be in charge of and it is much more important that I remember. Remembering to do my homework for high school does not carry the same weight as remembering to give my daughter her seizure medication.
I have resorted to lists. Daily lists and habits, almost rituals that I have to do every day. I have some for the morning, some for school time, some for the afternoon and I need to get better at my bedtime ones (especially at doing them at the right time). *sigh*
This should have solved the problem, except that I forget. I am in the middle of a morning routine, someone spills, milk, someone else throws a tantrum, every time I turn around there is something more to do and all of the sudden it's the middle of the day and I realize medication hasn't been given. Or it's the next day and laundry hasn't been done. It's seven at night and dinner is just making it to the table, or midnight and I'm stumbling to bed.
I've tried writing it all in easy to read format and printing it. I've organized notebooks and set reminders on my phone. All to no avail. There are too many important things, both planned and unplanned and I can't have my phone beeping constantly. The lists don't help, because you have to remember to look at them. And that is one more thing to do.
I think I may have found an answer. I pray it will work. It has in a different way already. After Izy it became very important for me to remember to bring everything when we left the house. If I didn't bring everything to feed her, etc then we were in big trouble and usually had to go straight home because her food and method of feeding are individual. So I came up with a number system. My kids and husband laugh at me because before we go anywhere I always sit and count on my fingers to make sure that we have everything that we need. Let them laugh! It works.
So now I am using mnemonics to remember my morning routine. I have a phrase that is uplifting and in and of itself is a reminder to do good, but the first letter of each word reminds me of a task to perform and in the order that I'm supposed to do it. I plan on printing this phrase and taping it to my bathroom mirror for extra help, but the point is I should be able to go through it in my head and remember what comes next, even after 40 interruptions. My morning phrase if you are interested is To Be Sincerely, Truly, Diligent: Love, Be Faithful, Search the Scriptures Feasting, Fervently Pray and be Readily Cheerful. These are all things that should help me to have a better morning in and of themselves even without knowing that Love can also = Laundry!
I'm working on methods for my other ones, but I have hope again that I can get through a morning and do everything that needs to be done without forgetting.
Sunday, January 1, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Here's hoping your new phrase works!!!!
And I'll remind you that you're more capable than you think you are! :)
Post a Comment