Friday, January 27, 2012

Evies Baptism

Evelyn was baptized on Saturday the 21st.  It was a wonderful day.  Grandma and Grandpa Chandler came out from Idaho to celebrate this special day with our little girl who is growing far to fast. 
The Grandmas each gave a prayer, Her dad baptized her and did the Bishopric welcome,  Evelyn Alayna and Joseph sang "I like to look for Rainbows", Aunt Amanda led the music, the sister missionaries did a presentation while Evelyn and her dad were changing, and sister Hugh played the piano. 

We were so excited that some of Evelyn's non-member friends came to support her as well.  It was wonderful to know that we were supported by so many family and friends.

Evelyn wanted to make sure that everyon in our family had a part, so she asked Noah and I to give the talk.  Noah had been sick and so I just had him tell us the Fourth article of faith.  His Cute little voice kept cracking but he did a great job especially since we hadn't had a chance to practice.

If those who weren't there are interested, here is a copy of my talk:

Evelyn,
You came to join our family 8 years and 3 days ago.  Your body had been growing getting ready for your spirit to come down and live with us and we where all getting ready for the exciting day.

Your Spirit was still in heaven with Heavenly Father.  You came to our family at this time for a reason- Your Heavenly Father has a plan Just for you. He knows who you are, Evie.  You are His Daughter and he loves you very much just because you are you.

When you finally came we were so happy to see you and hold you in our arms.  As I looked down into your eyes, I could feel your little spirit and I was so thankful to be in the presence of such a pure and beautiful girl.  I remember, you looked around so clearly and calmly at your new home here on earth.  You were already showing some of your abundant curiosity and joy.  I fell in love with you right then.

-         Noah: We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are First faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
     Mom: The first step you’ve taken was to have faith in Jesus Christ.  You have been interviewed and expressed that you have faith in Him.  You know that He loves you and that He is your older brother.  You know that He suffered for the sins of the world so that if we repent and follow Him we can return to live with Heavenly Father again. 

-         Noah: Second Repentance
     Mom: Repentance is knowing when you have done something wrong and saying you are sorry- then trying to do what you can to make it better.  This is something that you have already learned how to do and will need to continue throughout your life whenever you make mistakes. 

-        Noah:Third, baptism by immersion
      Mom: Today you will complete the third step.  This is a special step because it is your very first saving ordinance and your first big promise that you will make to your Heavenly Father. 

-         You will promise that you will always remember Jesus Christ and follow His commandments.  Did you know that Heavenly Father loves you so much that He is making a promise right back at you? 

-         He promises that He will forgive you when you repent, that you can have the Holy Ghost to be with you and that you can someday return to live with Him.  When you make a promise and then Heavenly Father Promises right back at you it’s called a covenant.  We know Heavenly Father will never break His promises and we need to try every day to keep ours.

-         The scriptures tell us that being baptized means:

o       1. To take upon you the name of Christ (D&C 18:21-25)
2. To bear one another’s burdens that they might be light (Mosiah 18:8)
3. To stand as a witness of God at all times, in all things, and in all places even until death. (Mosiah 18:9)
4. To obey the commandments of God and to serve him (Mosiah 18:10)

When you were born you left your Heavenly Father’s presence.  Today you are opening the gate and starting back on the path towards Him.

He knows that staying on that path isn’t always easy.  Sometimes you may not know which is the way to go, or you may just be feeing really grouchy or even just sad.  One of your Heavenly Fathers promises can help you then.  Do you know what it might be?
Yep the Holy Ghost.  After you are baptized you can receive the Holy Ghost as a gift to stay with you not just sometimes but all of the time.

You know, when I was your age, I couldn’t understand what that meant. I knew that the holy ghost make your heart tingle when you heard something true, and sometimes when you bore your testimony it would make you cry, and I didn’t want to cry all of the time, so I was confused.

Then I found out that that’s not how it always feels.  One of the things the Holy Ghost does is to give you peace.  This peace can help you to be happy even when it seems like everything is going wrong.  When I was in labor with you, your face was turned the wrong way and so the labor was very painful.  I didn’t know if I could do it.  Then I prayed to Heavenly Father and He sent the Spirit to comfort me.  The pain was still at the same level, but all of the sudden I could handle it better and I had peace that everything would be all right.  The same thing happened after you fell off of the couch on to the concrete downstairs.  At first I was panicking and about to flip out, but after your blessing I felt the spirit come and comfort me and I knew that everything would be all right.  

Now I try to make sure to read my scriptures in the morning so that I can get that peace and happiness and hopefully carry it with me through the day.  I hope that you will do your best to keep the spirit with you always so that you can live a good and happy life.

Evelyn, you are named after Eve our first Mother, and just like the Lord had a plan for her life and she was baptized and had the Holy Ghost, he has a plan for your life too.

Even Jesus was baptized so that we could all understand what we need to do to follow Heavenly Father’s plan.
The Lord has a plan for everyone who has come to the earth

I am so happy for you that you are taking this important step in your journey back to live with our Heavenly Father. I know that if you will stay on the path you are entering today that we can live with our Heavenly Father as a family forever.

No comments:

Followers

My Blog List

My Blog List