Sometimes it can be hard to see the good things that surround us because we are focusing on the bad. Sometimes the good can even come to look like it is the bad.
I am on a list serve for my youngest daughter where someone was having a hard time getting what services they felt their child needed on the IEP. They made a comment something like:
Sometimes I think that it would be easier if my child had a disability the was more visible. Because you can't tell that *Bob* has issues just by looking at him I have to fight every step of the way.
Really? I'm sure they were having a bad day. My heart hurts for the moms who read this who have children whose disabilities are far too visible. Honestly, my heart hurts for me. Do you really want to trade places? Because I would give my left foot, leg and arm too in order to have Izy walk, talk and interact in such a way that her disability was invisible. I know we are always looking for better, but I learned an important lesson from this other hurting mom. Focus on the positives. Look for and enjoy what is right.
And so. . .
her gorgeous smile
her squeals of happiness
her ability to find small chocking hazards on my floor by rolling around
her speed at grabbing my plate and almost sending it to it's doom
Her E-I-E-I-O when she sees farm animals (and other random times)
Her patience
Her increasing head control
Her increasing ability to sit
Her enjoyment of jumping laying down
Her ability to bear weight and stand on her legs
Her ability to pull to tall kneeling
Her face plant crawling, pushing with her legs, but ignoring her arms
Her love of food and water
Her love of finger-painting
Her receptive language
The words she says
The joy she brings
Her Cuddles
Her Kisses
Her excitement when she realizes something new
Her interest in watching her siblings
Her loud laghter
Her tickle spots
Her determination
All things that I tend to over look in favor of focusing on the "problems" so that I can help to fix them. I think that it is important to do whatever we can to help her and then sit back and enjoy her in the meantime.
I am truly grateful to be her mom. It is a blessing.
Friday, July 8, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I had no idea you had a blog Julie! (Found you while looking at Amber's) But I wanted to say that little Isabelle is a treasure and you are a great mom. No one can understand what it is like to be in someone else's shoes and comparing disabilities serves no one--apples and oranges. (Although I admit to being guilty of it myself at times too.) You're right, focusing on the positives is what is really important. Hope I get to see you again sometime, soon.
Post a Comment